Monday, March 8, 2010

Seriously, Doctor???

Three weeks ago today I went to the doctor (again) about Tommy's reflux. He had a week where his meds were working AWESOME!!!! He slept 7 hours one night, but that only lasted for a week and he was back to waking up every 2-3 hours. Sooooo painful to get up that often. I love my child, but seriously, SLEEP, why don't you?

Well, we saw this nurse practitioner at the office we frequent. I should have known it was going to be a bad deal. First of all, she walked in, and she was way hot. You know those girls....hot and smart enough to be a nurse practioner. She thought she had it going on. Well, let me tell you, she didn't. It was apparent that she had not peeked at his chart before she came into the room. If she had, she would know that he has been on THREE reflux medications, Zantac (no change), Prevacid (made him projectile vomit), and Axid (which worked for a week.) She informed me that he still had bloody stools (I know gross, but I need that info for later) and wondered what I was eating. I mentioned that I was off the top 8 allergens and my diet consists---LITERALLY---of 12 things. She asked how long I had been off corn and wheat---two weeks, I replied. And then she said that I might notice a change in Tommy at his four month check (two days from now.) Then she proceeded to give me her story....I think you should try Prevacid---hey hot doc, I already did that one. Well, it took about 3 weeks to work for my son. So, you think I should try it again...after the first time he vomited---projectile--after every feeding. Yes, it might get worse before it gets better. How can it get worse??? My child screams after every feeding and by the time I calm him down it's about an hour until the next one. Help me, pretty lady.

Here is the clincher, she says to me, my son was MSPI too and he grew out of it at 6 months. I'm sure Tommy will grow out of it soon. Listen here, mama, Tommy is not MSPI. MSPI babies can eat corn, and wheat, and their mama's can have hot chocolate and rice krispies. I am surviving on lettuce, pears, and rice. This is NOT the same. AND my baby is still not happy. Where is my happy baby???? After she tells me he will grow out of it I tell her that Hayden had it too and she didn't grow out of it until she was two. Oh, she says. Smartest thing the well-educated hot chick has said all day, but still not an answer to my reflux issue.

She then proceeds to prescribe Prevacid (the vomit one) and I say, (and I do say this.) I don't mean to be that obsessive mom that is smarter than the doctors, but I have been reading about this drug, Zegerid online, and I am wondering if we could try it. That is only for special circumstances, she says. I want to scream at her---we are a special circumstance. As I am leaving, I realize that she probably has no idea what this drug is used for and just said the special circumstances thing to make herself look good...not that she needed to...

Added note: I went back a week later and saw the PA who DID prescribe Tommy the Zegerid. She was not hot, and of course admitted that she had never heard of the drug. Tommy has turned into an angel who sleeps, giggles, and loves to lie on his back. Obsessive mommy wins again!!

2 comments:

  1. You rock, Momma! Let's stick out our tongue and make that "farting" sound to all hot women who think they are smart too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't know each other & I was just blog hopping & clicked on yours from Michelle Smith's. It sounds like you are struggling with the same issues we've been having with our 4 month old baby. We've done some things that have worked & some things that haven't but I don't want to leave a whole huge essay on your blog so if you'd like any of our info, email me at bissyboo(at)hotmail(dot)com and I'd be happy to share my unsolicited information. :) Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete