Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Birds

So we are driving home from church today and Jason rolls down his window and chucks his gum out. Hayden says, "Daddy, what was that?" Jason says, "What," pretending he doesn't hear her. Hayden says, "Daddy, what did you throw out the window?" Jason looks at me with this guilty look on his face and says, "A piece of lint."

Seriously, Jason, a piece of lint? Is that the best you can do? I am a firm believer that you don't lie (much) to your children so I proceeded to call Jason on it. "Hayden, Daddy is lying to you. He did not throw lint out the window." Hayden, of course the constant questioner, does not let it go. I'm glad because I like to see him squirm.

"Daddy, what did you throw out the window?" Jason replies, "I threw my gum out the window." Hayden gets this incredulous look on her face and says, "Daddy we do not throw gum out the window."

Little does Jason know, but last week Hayden and I had this conversation about things you can throw out the window. I had thrown an apple out the window and she wanted to throw her gum out too. I explained to her that an apple is okay because birds can eat apples, but they might choke on gum.

At this point Jason and I are laughing so hard that tears are falling from our eyes. Jason has just been called out for littering by his two year old. Hayden then says, "Daddy, we don't throw gum out the window because birds can choke on gum and they might die."

Making her point again a few seconds later.......... "Birds can die from gum, Daddy."

No comments:

Post a Comment