Last night we ventured out to the Husker baseball game. Tommy has gotten on a pretty predictable feeding schedule (finally) so we are actually able to go places without worrying that I will have to find a secluded place to nurse. I HATE nursing in the bathroom stall. Does anyone else find that totally disgusting?? I get the willies just thinking about it. Hopefully that time in my life is over. (No, we are not having any more kids.) And I won't wear a Hooter Hider. Although they are a great idea, I still feel like everyone can hear Tommy eating and that grosses me out. Just because I'm covered doesn't mean that people don't have a clear picture in their head, right?
The great thing about the games was that both Jason and I had our own little people to take care of. I had Tommy in the Baby Bjorn and Jason was busy explaining to Hayden about batting, pop flies, and how to spit sunflower seeds out of the corner of her mouth. I am so glad that we had Hayden before Tommy. I think she would have missed out on those daddy/daughter times if Tommy had been our firstborn. She would have missed learning about pop flies in baseball. And free throws and how to take a charge in basketball. There's something to be said for having the older brother taking care of the younger sister, but I also think it's great that Hayden's daddy can explain all of that "stuff" to her.
Tommy and I were inside due to the insanely high wind speed and I was watching Hayden and Jason as they watched the game. All of a sudden, I noticed that Hayden was leaning over the side of the bleachers. YIKES!! I wanted to scream, "Get back!, Watch out!, and Be Careful!" all at the same time. Then I realized how great it was that Jason was with her at that time. He was giving her a little room, letting her take some chances, and trusting her to not lean over too far. Had it been me, she would have been snuggling on my lap because of the cold. From a distance, it was easy to see how important the relationship is between a father and daughter. I was thinking to myself how different her experience would be if she had me showing her my view of everything. Jason was showing her "fun times" and I would have been explaining something to her, teaching her a lesson, or assessing what she already knew.
I started this post really thinking I was just going to write about the fun times we had last night and instead I get into how important dads are to their daughters. Does there have to be a lesson in every moment? Apparently....unless you're a dad.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment