Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sick Baby or Not

So, today was the third day that I've taken Tommy to Danielle's for a daycare trial run. It gets easier every time, and today it only took me 1 hour and 42 minutes to text her and ask how his day was going. Of course, when I went to pick him up he had slept the majority of the time and taken the longest nap of his 67 day life. So, to get to my obsession. He only ate one (1) time from 8:00-11:30. And it was only two (2) ounces. This is what I'm thinking in my head when Danielle tells me this even though I say to her, "Oh, that's fine, he'll eat what he needs." 2 ounces, well, 2 times 8 feedings is 16 ounces. He's only eating 16 ounces in a day. How is he going to keep gaining weight? Maybe he's sick. Maybe those eighteen (18), really only 3, shots he got on Tuesday are just now staring to kick in and he's sick. When I get home I feed him the bottle Danielle had made right before I got there...again only two (2) ounces. And then he has a giant burp and spits up at least half (1/2) of it. Really it was just a normal spit, but this contributed to my "there must be something wrong with Tommy" voice in my head. I head upstairs to change his diaper and take his temperature. Good thing I have Complete Children's Health on speeddial. I know I'm going to have to call. Again. WAIT!!!!! His temperature (rectal of course) is 98.8---completely normal. Maybe I should have just evaluated Tommy's behavior the entire time this has been going on (45 minutes since I left Danielle's.) Smiles and coos usually mean happy baby, right? Try telling an obsessive mom that one.

3 comments:

  1. OH-MY-STARS. I didn't know you were sooo much like me! I worry worry worry about the health of my children. Should I call the doctor? Should I go to the ER? I'm a big time poop-checker. I still make Luke show his poop to me before he flushes. I'm so glad you're blogging...it is a stress reliever and you're so comical! I'll be stalking your blog regularly now.
    As for Tommy...remember babies go through phases! When he's nursing, he's probably only getting around 2 ounces anyway b/c he has to work harder for it. NO WORRIES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I may have some helpful sleep info. for you too...but I only give advice when asked for it! I did this with my kiddos and they've both been great sleepers...worth a try????

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny Kim. You are a fantastic mommy and Thomas and Hayden are so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete